Single Muslim Website
Is it permissible to use Single Muslim website?
I wanted to know it is permissible to use single Muslim website?
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
“Single Muslim” is a matchmaking website meant to facilitate seeking a compatible marriage partner. We acknowledge the practical need for such a facility, especially for reverts and for unmarried individuals who do not have the necessary family and social support for identifying a suitable partner.
While, matrimonial sites such as “Single Muslim”, may have been initiated out of sincerity, hard work and to assist fellow Muslims complete their faith; the possibility of Fitnah cannot be ignored where insincere individuals abuse the facility to fulfil their passion by lies and deception. Other issues pertaining to such websites include:
- Abuse of pictures;
- Open, private and unregulated conversations with the opposite gender;
- Lack of mechanism to confirm whether the information online is authentic;
- Lack of guidance and counsel from parents and seniors.
However, if a matrimonial website is designed where the negative factors are overcome then such a facility can be considered. An alternative to the present matrimonial websites could be a sharia compliant matrimonial website comprising the following features:
- The website is regulated and steered by a group of experienced and reputable people under the guidance of Ulama;
- Only the regulators have access to the database of profiles;
- Each profile that is submitted is verified by the regulators using reliable means of inquiry;
- The regulators act as intermediaries between potential partners by matching up profiles in line with their interests and suitability (based on location, language, etc.);
- Once potential spouses express their interest in each other, the regulators and the family members of the potential partners may arrange for them to meet under their guidance.
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Hanif Yusuf Patel
Student Darul Iftaa
Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.
The Ask Our Imam site hopes to respond to queries relating to Islamic law. It is not an Islamic Law Shari`ah Court. The questions and answers found on this website are for educational purposes. However, many of the rulings rendered here are distinct to the specific scenario and thus should be read in conjunction with the question and not taken as a basis to establish a verdict in another situation or environment. This site bears no responsibility in these responses being used out of their intended context, nor to any party who may or may not follow the responses given and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused. None of the responses rendered may be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of Our Imam. Any reference to another website or link provided in our responses or article should not be taken as an endorsement of all the content on that website; in fact, it is restricted to the particular material being cited.