Imam and Interest
What is the ruling about praying behind an Imam who takes out interest based mortgage?
Salam, Sheikh I got an urgent question about interest as my local Imam had an interest based mortgage and the local people have got a fatwa from an Alim in Pakistan that he says all of the Salah read behind the Imam since he has taken interest mortgage does not count and you cannot pray behind him also the local Imam is a Mufti.
Can you reply ASAP please because it is an important issue?
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
In order for us to consider your request, kindly inform us of the following:
- If the matter was referred to a Mufti in Pakistan and he issued a ruling, what is the point of referring the matter to us?
- When preparing the questionnaire, did the local Imam, Mufti Saheb, see and agree with the contents of the questionnaire?
- How is the relationship between the people who sent the questionnaire and Mufti Saheb?
- Did anyone witness the Mufti Saheb taking out an interest-based loan and what was the context of that? What is the Mufti Saheb`s financial condition?
- Did you, as the local public, approach Mufti Saheb and raise your concerns with him? If so, what was his response?
- Do you have local Muftis and senior Ulama to refer to? Why was the matter referred to Pakistan?
- You may forward to us a copy of the questionnaire sent to Pakistan and the Fatwa along with the answers to all our queries.
- In any event, the salah performed behind the Mufti Saheb is valid.
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Hanif Yusuf Patel
Student Darul Iftaa
Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.
 وأما بيان من يصلح للإمامة في الجملة فهو كل عاقل مسلم، حتى تجوز إمامة العبد، والأعرابي، والأعمى، وولد الزنا والفاسق، وهذا قول العامة ...
، وكذا الصحابة - رضي الله عنهم - كابن عمر وغيره والتابعون اقتدوا بالحجاج في صلاة الجمعة وغيرها مع أنه كان أفسق أهل زمانه، حتى كان عمر بن عبد العزيز يقول: لو جاءت كل أمة بخبيثها وجئنا بأبي محمد لغلبناهم، وأبو محمد كنية الحجاج ....
ولأن جواز الصلاة متعلق بأداء الأركان وهؤلاء قادرون عليها، إلا أن غيرهم أولى
[Bada`I as-Sana`I fi Tartib as-Shara`I, 1: 666-7, Dar al-Kutub al-IlmiyyaH, Beirut]
[Fatawa Mahmudiyyah, 6:150, Dar al-Iftaa Jamiah Faruqiyyah, Karachi]
The Ask Our Imam site hopes to respond to queries relating to Islamic law. It is not an Islamic Law Shari`ah Court. The questions and answers found on this website are for educational purposes. However, many of the rulings rendered here are distinct to the specific scenario and thus should be read in conjunction with the question and not taken as a basis to establish a verdict in another situation or environment. This site bears no responsibility in these responses being used out of their intended context, nor to any party who may or may not follow the responses given and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused. None of the responses rendered may be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of Our Imam. Any reference to another website or link provided in our responses or article should not be taken as an endorsement of all the content on that website; in fact, it is restricted to the particular material being cited.
Posted in Salaah (Prayer) on 20th Jan 2016 by Our Imam | 451 Views