Bequest and Will (Wasiyyah)
Can the predeceased or the children of the predeceased inherit from the deceased grandparents? And should the Wasiyyah be executed?
- Does a predeceased child have a share in the estate?
- In a will it states that if any of my children predeceased me then the predeceased child`s share must be given in equally to their children (i.e. the grandchildren) in stripes. Is this correct?
- If the deceased made a verbal Wasiyyah with the witnesses that can testify, should the Wasiyyah be carried out?
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
- A predeceased child will not inherit from the estate of his or her parents.
- The grandchildren cannot be equated to one`s children in inheritance. Therefore the concept of per stirpes is incorrect.
- The Wasiyyah of the deceased is valid and subsequently it is incumbent upon the executors to execute the Wasiyyah. However, the following points are important to consider:
- It is not permissible to make a Wasiyyah for any heir; and if such a Wasiyyah is made, it will not be executed, unless all the heirs consent to it.
- A Wasiyyah can be made only from the remaining 1/3 of the estate after burial expenses and payment of debts .
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Hanif Yusuf Patel
Student Darul Iftaa
Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.
 وان كان للميت ابن, فلا شيء لبنت الإبن
[Al-Muhit al-Burhani, 23:289, Idarah al-Qur`an wa al-Uloom al-Islamiyyah]
اولى العصبات باالميراث الابن, ثم ابن الابن
 قال محمد في الجامع الصغير في رجل يوصي إلى رجل فقبله في حياته الموصي فالوصية لازمة
[Al-Fatawa al-Hindiyyah, 6: 137; Al-Bahr al-Ra`iq, 9:307, Rashidiyyah]
[Ahsan al-Fatawa, 9:292, H.M Saeed Company]
 لا تجوز الوصية للوارث عندنا إلا أن يجوزها الورثة
[Al-Fatawa al-Hindiyyah, 6:90, Rashidiyah; Ad-Durr al-Mukhtar ma`a Radd al-Muhtar, 6:655-6, H.M. Saeed Company; Bada`i as-Sana`i, 6:423, Deoband]
[Fatawa Mahmoodiyyah, 24: 498, Dar al-Iftaa Jamiah Farooqiyyah, Karachi]
 ولا تجوز بما زاد على الثلث ... الا أن يجيزها الورثة بعد موته وهم كبار ... لا تجوز لوارثه ... ... الا أن يجيزها الورثة … الوصية
[Al-Hidayah, 4: 638-40, Maktabah Rahmaniyyah, Lahore]
The Ask Our Imam site hopes to respond to queries relating to Islamic law. It is not an Islamic Law Shari`ah Court. The questions and answers found on this website are for educational purposes. However, many of the rulings rendered here are distinct to the specific scenario and thus should be read in conjunction with the question and not taken as a basis to establish a verdict in another situation or environment. This site bears no responsibility in these responses being used out of their intended context, nor to any party who may or may not follow the responses given and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused. None of the responses rendered may be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of Our Imam. Any reference to another website or link provided in our responses or article should not be taken as an endorsement of all the content on that website; in fact, it is restricted to the particular material being cited.
Posted in Inheritance & Will on 17th Jan 2016 by Our Imam | 607 Views